Suffolk Punch 35s Service

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

birchy
KG Regular

I would like to perform a full engine and carburettor service on my 1993 Suffolk Punch 35s

The handbook says the engine is an ATCO type A114-2N but I do not know which carburettor I have.

I've attached several photos, taken today, and hope someone can identify it for me.

Also, I would appreciate any advice or links to relevant articles or websites regarding a full strip down of the engine and the carburettor

Many thanks in advance.
Attachments
DSC00012.JPG
DSC00012.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 5418 times
DSC00011.JPG
DSC00011.JPG (2.1 MiB) Viewed 5418 times
DSC00010.JPG
DSC00010.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 5418 times
Richard
KG Regular

Looks like the dreaded Dell-Orto FHC20, you should find lots on the net about how useless they were, not quite true as their only fault was to fit a fixed main jet, an adjustable one was available, but not fitted by Qualcast. That little screw on the bottom of the float bowl is something I haven't seen before though. They are fairly easy to clean out, the hex bolt on the bottom of the float bowl can be unscrewed and the jets etc, blown out with compressed air. Never had one of those engines to pieces, if it is something major wrong, it may be easier and cheaper to buy another used engine, rather than repair it.
birchy
KG Regular

Thanks for that.

It sounds like I’ve been quite lucky, then, because the mower has worked almost faultlessly since I bought it new in 1993, until last summer when it was a pig to start every time.

So I thought I’d roll up my sleeves and return to my mis-spent youth, stripping down motorbike engines . . . . and I’m quite looking forward to fumbling my way through it all again.

The original documentation includes part numbers on an exploded diagram of the engine which also shows that each valve is secured by a cotter pin.

Do you know exactly what tool I will need (and where to buy one) to compress the valves in order to release the cotter pins ?

I expect all the gaskets will be readily available by searching the net using their part numbers.

Cheers.
mowerman
KG Regular

I have the same carb on an Atco Balmoral 14s. Its a Tillotson TCT. I'm looking for a diagram and parts list if anyone can point me in the direction please. I have tries the Tillotson web page but no luck
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thought this was about horses:)
Mc387
KG Regular

Hi
I have an old suffolk punch 30s the pull cord is fraid / almost gone .
Ive taken the pull cord mechanism off the mower but cannot see how to replace the pull cord ,is it possible.
Any help appreciated
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic