Replacement for Hayter mower?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Not a good idea tipping an engine over as gearbox/engine oil can get where you don't want it.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
richard p
KG Regular

tip it carb side up and you should be fine .... when youve finished leave it stood flat for a bit so the oil drains back down ...
ive been tempted by one of these http://ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=ride+on+mower+hoist&_osacat=159912&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xride+on+mower+jack.TRS0&_nkw=ride+on+mower+jack&_sacat=159912
drive the back wheels on and wind the handle and bobs yer uncle.
i prefer not to pick grass up, emptying the grass box wastes a lot of time , ive got several old ride ons , a couple are rear discharge through a chute to a deflector plate hung on the back ... that works quite well , the old rear discharge westsoods just had a bit of the skirt cut away on the rear of the deck which also works , worst are the side discharge decks that throw all the cuttings twenty feet sideways.
i picked up an old roper side discharge at the local auction , i just plated the outlet hole in the side of the deck ... its 14hp vee twin with about a 40 inch cut will cut foot high grass in almost top gear and as theres no actual outlet for the grass it chops really finely.
has a lot more oomph than a neighbours 14hp single cylinder bolens.

i also use a 2 year old mountfield for a client , that is rear discharge to a box , but with a plastic mulching plug stuffed down the chute.
still have to have the grassbox on the back or it wont run, wont reverse unless you remember to press the safety override button...cuts out every time you leave the seat to open a gate or move a childs/dogs toy... its a pain in the butt....soon be out of warrentee so i can short out some of the switches.

all in all i think i prefer the 60 quid roper...though the 6hp 23 inch castel also does surpising well (also available badged as mountfield or stiga)
Geoff
KG Regular

When I was building part of the garden I put in a set of steps between the flower garden and the vegetable garden. I designed them with side walls so I could drive the mower over them and then pressure wash under the deck. It was a pretty messy process so now I have the hoist and slings I do it dry. I asked a friend for advice on the hoist, he was a works engineer so he did a health and safety inspection and condemned the requisite kit! The only time I can remember praising the elf. The weather cleared so I didn't start the service today but tomorrow's forecast suggests I'll be doing it, might take photographs.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Richard, I'm surprised you are happy with the rear discharge. Mine is the twin 14 Westwood. yes lots of power but not picking up means a line of cut grass laid down behind the machine. Surely the side discharge scattered over a wide are rather than piles of neat grass laid down behind. This old Westwood evens tows that big heavy roller from Cardigan foundries.

I used to use a side discharge Klippo and found that it scattered the grasses evenly to one side proving I planned my route carefully, my dog once got covered in grass when she walked by the discharge Shute.

Are you suggesting if I block the rear discharge I'll get a sort-of mulching effect ?

Geoff, I gave up clearing the underside after cutting grass and I tried everything to protect the cutting deck from acids. Bitumen, waxoil and rust convertor, they all get eaten away though the deck steel is so thick it'll never get eaten through in my lifetime.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

My first ride-on mower was a Lawnflite from 1997 (a 50th birthday present to myself!) to 2006, when I traded it in the deck was almost shot so I thought I would try Red Oxide on this one. If I don't clean it from time to time during the season it blocks with damp grass. I have started servicing it today:

Hoisted onto a pair of Workmates just in case

IMG_3805_R.jpg
IMG_3805_R.jpg (291.93 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

Blade removed showing what I have to tackle

IMG_3807_R.jpg
IMG_3807_R.jpg (308.91 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

They are not even subtle about their badge engineering

IMG_3809_R.jpg
IMG_3809_R.jpg (248.49 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

......to be continued when I've cleaned and painted.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks for the photos Geoff, I hope there isn't any rust under all that dry grass. Il send you some of my deck when I get it off.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

My cutter deck hangs of a pivot/adjustment point at the rear. The front of it attached by two bolts to a sort of cantilever arrangement to keep the deck tensioned towards the rear pivot. It isn't difficult to slide the deck out once you had a few practice runs though because I only do this once a year I always forget the easiest routine so it's a struggle.

Photos of the deck coming out, the dried grass and the damage done after a scraper and wire-brush, it isn't bad and Ill continue using the same product which is a rust convertor by Flag paint sold to me by Toolstation. After trying all sorts it's the best solution.
Attachments
IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg (97 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
IMG_1114.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg (103.87 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg (91.43 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

Might try that when my red oxide tin is empty. Finally finished and reassembled just waiting for a spark plug and fuel filter and I'll give it a run.

IMG_3810_R.jpg
IMG_3810_R.jpg (569.43 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

The stuff I refer to is a water based product so very friendly and two coats go on in two hours though my garage is warm with a fire burning in the stove. I use the same paint on all my wheelbarrows, mostly it does need topping/touching up every year though the rust control on the ride on mower is impressive.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic