Suffolk Punch 43s Throttle not working

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

norbet75
KG Regular

Hi all, seems this is the place where the knowledge resides on such matters. I've acquired a 43s with the Dellorto FHC carb. When I recently purchased it, it ran quite fast albeit lumpy and hunted (revs varying). So I set about disassembly of the dellorto carb and discovered deposits in the float bowl. Gave it a thorough clean up including the central jet and put it all back together. Cleaned out the fuel tank, replaced with fresh fuel and gave it a whirl.
Now it starts on full choke/half choke but cuts out once choke is taken off. Messing about with the idle screw and mix screw I can just about get it to idle, albeit still lumpy.
The problem I have is the throttle cable, when moved, it seems to have no effect on the carb and doesn't increase the revs. It's linked to a bar below that moves up and down and when fully lowered connects to a kill switch which works just fine. On the other side of this bar/linkage there's a long link with a plastic top to it with a spring connected to the same bar as the throttle cable. Problem is, when the bar moves this long link/spring does not.
I suspect I may have reassembled incorrectly, but to be honest I never checked it before taking to bits. In my haste I just jumped on in with the carb cleaner when I should have studied it more beforehand. :oops: There's also a nagging fear I may have lost a spring or linkage or something!
I cannot find any diagrams on line other than expanded views of the mower itself and not the engine/carb/throttle bits.
I did find a thread called "no throttle action" but despite best efforts to describe the fix I can't seem to work out how this throttle should work.
Any ideas>?
Richard
KG Regular

Here are a couple of parts drawings from the Qualcast B66 rotavator parts book, this used the same A114 engine and DelOrto carburettor, note that there is a hair-pin spring (item 13) on the throttle butterfly.
Attachments
DelOrto.jpg
DelOrto.jpg (62.36 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
B66 links.jpg
B66 links.jpg (91 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
norbet75
KG Regular

Thanks so much Richard. I think this will help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic