Electric mower-any recommendations?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Motherwoman
KG Regular

I need an electric mower for the holiday cottage, used to have petrol one but it's starting to smell when stored and as the store is part of a range of small bits on the side of the house I can't having it stinking the place out! Even the mower repair place can't sort the petrol one out.

So any recommendations for a medium sized, not very smooth lawn, cable mower?

MW
peter
KG Regular

Not a cylinder style one.

The blades were blunt and painted on the one we had, rotary ones are better.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

I had a electric tiller made by handy at least i did till some scumbag got his hands on it, very well made and had enough power to do more than it was designed for i would think they make mowers as well as tillers
Pa Snip
KG Regular

By pure coincidence two of my neighbours also have electric mowers made by Bosch.

Ours has not given us any cause for complaint and does its job well.

Don't think we all have same model though and it may just be that we all happened to shop at B & Q sometime

(Alternative retailers are available :) )

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Thank you for your replies. I was looking at the Bosch models online and they sound good until you get to the reviews about motors burning out after around 18 months. Trouble is you don't know if these are mowers which have been asked to do more than they should.

Wolf seem to get a good write up but are more expensive. Anyone used one of these?

MW
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I suspect you are spot on with the reason for motors burning out.
People buy low powered mowers based on low price then try and cut through 6 inch high damp grass.

Had our Bosch 3 years now, neighbours must be about the same, and one of those neighbours has a front lawn that helps her win prizes from the local council each year for gardens in bloom.

Not tried a Wolf motor mower but do swear by their multi-change garden tool range. Not that that is anything to go by.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Clive.
KG Regular

I used to work for a Wolf mower agent...I must admit it was 24 years ago.... I used to enjoy selling their small electric mowers with their induction motors...because what it said in the sales blurb the mower really did...filling grassbox to the top whether clippings were wet or dry, strong chassis with a long chassis warranty, powerful motor......
They weren't as showroom shiny then as some other very well known brands of the day but they could do some real work. We often sold them on the back of another brands failure...and by having a demo one that covered for the Easter rush, loaned out to customers whose mowers were in our long repair queue.

Clive.
robo
KG Regular

Lidle have a mower on offer 1800 watt turbo just under £80 for that price its worth a punt
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I'm erring on the side of the wolf mower at the moment. The mower I keep at the holiday cottage has to be reliable. I have between 10am and 3pm to change all the beds, clean all the way through and reset everything, the last hour is for the garden and if a mower does not work the grass does not get cut. I can't get at it again for another week, sometimes two weeks.

Thanks all for your replies.

MW
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic