Buying on the internet

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

Smurfy
KG Regular

You'll get some cracking potatoes. i tried potatoes in bags last year and although i had to harvest them earlier than normal because of the blight i still had a very respectable crop.
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
Primrose
KG Regular

Smurfy - I'm thinking ahead now, but what did you do with the compost from your potato bags once you'd harvested them? If I have a good crop I'm wondering (blight permitting) whether I'll be able to re-use the compost again next year to grow them again. I'd propose adding some manure or other nutrients but as I've got three bags and another container full of bought compost, I'm wondering whether the cost of buying new compost every year outweights the cost of the potatoes.
Smurfy
KG Regular

Yeah that is a bit of a headache. I am currently filling some new raised beds so to gradually fill them with used compost and then buy new in next year. It is an expense though. if anyone has any good ideas i'd be glad to hear them.

My other half who doesn't understand gardening suggested growing them in a mixture of compost and shedded paper - i would never had tghought about it and wondered if it would work?
Primrose
KG Regular

Smurfy - one thing that surprised me about the compost in the potato bags was how quickly it warmed up if located in a sunny spot, so assuming that the potatoes are all harvested well before the end of summer, I might try experimenting with re-energising the compost with some shredded newspaper, grass cuttings and some kitchen compost like banana peelings which rot down quite quickly. Given a regular stir, with the bags in a nice warm place, I reckon it might be possible to re-energise the compost enough for everything to rot down quickly enough for me to use it again for a second year of potato growing. If blight doesn't overtake us, I plan to experiment with this as on several occasions when my compost cage has been overflowing I've dug kitchen peelings straight into my borders in warmish weather and they've rotted down very quickly.
Smurfy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,

I'd be very interested in your results so keep us posted.

Smurfy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic