Indian summer for pests

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, KG magazine, KG Emma, Chief Spud

cuteboy
KG Regular

Indian summer for pests

Postby cuteboy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 am

In 2006 we had the longest period of extended summer weather since records began, and gardeners certainly noticed the effects on fruit and vegetable crops. Many were picking runner beans and courgettes right up until the beginning of November and saw yellow daisy-like flowers on their Jerusalem artichokes for the first time. Apples started to bloom again; globe artichokes produced second crop and so did some fig trees.

Usually figs only have a second ripening in sub-tropical areas or in glasshouses, but at Reads Nursery in Norfolk which has the National Collection of figs planted outside, several varieties produced a few late fruit – a phenomenon which staff have never seen before. Even more of a novelty was the banana plant which flowered and fruited outside in the garden of Clare College in Cambridge!
1 x
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Re: Indian summer for pests

Postby PLUMPUDDING » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 am

I remember it well. A beautiful summer for my two little boys to play in the garden and lots of hard work catching all the grey water from the kitchen and bathroom to water everything.

The birds had to work hard to feed their young but it cleaned up all the insect pests from the top fruit and roses. It was also an excellent year for ladybirds and butterflies.
1 x
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Postby Colin Miles » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 am

1976 was longer. And records really don't go back that far.

"In the Central England Temperature series 1976 has the hottest summer for more than 350 years and probably for much longer. The average temperature over the whole summer (June, July, August) was 17.77 °C, compared to the average for the unusually warm years between 2001–2008 of 16.30 °C.[12] There have in other years been hotter specific summer months, though.

The summer was so hot that it is embedded in the national psyche, with subsequent heatwaves in 1995,[13] 1997,[14] 2001,[15] 2003 and 2006[16] all using 1976 as a benchmark."

As for pests, I can remember plagues of ladybirds, greenfly, etc., in earlier years.
1 x
The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by faith, but by verification.
Thomas Huxley
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Postby PLUMPUDDING » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Yes Colin was thinking of 1976 I wasn't paying attention. 2006 didn't register, oops.
0 x

Return to “News and Views”